Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Discovering A Rhythm

I have 3.5 miles on my schedule for today.  It's Spring Break for the boys and the hubs is home too!  I'm happy to be able to do 3.5 on my own and not have to push the 3 y.o. in the jogging stroller. 

I took a different route this time which I call The Braided Stream Loop.  The last half mile and right around Mile 2 are uphill.  Once I got into my running groove, I felt like I was flying (to me anyways, and I'm sure I was going just 10 min/miles on those stretches).  When I got to the first uphill stretch, I took smaller steps but kept the same groove I had earlier. 

The nice thing about running without music is you are more in tune with your breathing and your strides.  I started to notice a rhythm that my breathing was making with each step I took.  One/inhale, two, three, four/exhale.  One/inhale, two, three, four/exhale, etc...or something like that.  I became more focused on that syncopation as I literally attacked each hill - even as the hill crested and flattened out, I maintained that rhythm.

I couldn't believe I did 3.52 miles in 41 minutes - that is fast for me especially with hills.  It was such a great run I was on high the whole day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...