Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Signed up for my first 10K!

Signed up for my first 10K race today!!!!  And I don't even have running shoes yet!  What is that saying - putting the cart before the horse?

Well, the inactivity over here is killing me.  I HAD to sign up to get motivated.  Looking at the calendar, I should have started my training yesterday.  Where are those darn running shoes.  It's been weeks.  I'm antsy.  I want my shoes! (whine whine).

 The race I signed up for is the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond.  It's on April 2.  I found a great training plan for it, and I can't wait to get started.

Before today, I've only signed up for 5K races and never moved up to pile more miles.  I think I thought I had to run a fast 5K before moving up to a 10K.  I made up that rule for myself, I guess, thinking I'm not worthy of a 10K.  Weird, huh?  I didn't start running more than a 5K until last October.  I was training for the Race for Breath 5K in Virginia Beach, running 3 miles two times a week and doing fartleks once a week.  My husband thought I should start doing longer runs on the weekend, past 3 miles.

So one weekend, I thought, ok, I'll try it.  Once I settled into a nice easy pace, I surprised myself when I found out I've run 4 miles!  Wow, this is easy!  What a rush!

Of course I got way too excited and (cringe) increased my mileage by 1 mile every weekend.  A big no-no for a newbie like me because we know where that puts you - on the injured list, which sadly, I ended up in after my triumphant 7 miler on Jan 2, 2011. 

So now I know better and I'm approaching this 10K race as a novice, slowly piling the miles wisely because I do not want this ITBS to get worse or get a whole new other mess of injuries.

While I'm basking in this big jump into 10K races, I'm passing the time (until I get my shoes) by reading everything about running.  Trying to psyche myself up and get pumped up for my next adventure.  Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...