Thursday, February 23, 2012

Three Things Thursday: Procrastination? Excuses? and The Marine Corps Marathon 2012

So I saw this post from the Marine Corps Marathon's Facebook page yesterday morning.....

Source

I didn't freak out, I just felt like I was coming down with the stomach bug all of a sudden.  Sporto and Little Man just had the stomach bug, so it's very likely?


Source
No, this one is just from the realization that in 14 days, or sooner, I will be committing to twenty-six point freakin' two, my goal race this year.  I can't believe registration is literally right around the corner!!!!  Last year, they sold out in 28 hours.  Who knows how fast they'll sell out this year??!!  

I know for sure I WANT to do this race.  I NEED to do this race. THIS year.  I HAVE to do this race because I am turning 40 this year.

Yup, new age group, come November 2012!  LOL.  A friend thinks I'm crazy for being so eager to put my body through hell (training and running a full marathon), to celebrate my birthday.  Yes, other girls celebrate turning 40 with a spa treatment, a cruise to some exotic beach, a weekend away with girlfriends, with chocolate, or margaritas...but this girl wants to sweat, to ache, to test my limits, to cry, to go through mental and physical agony and aching feet for her birthday.  Fun, huh?  Can't wait!

Me and my mom back in 2006
So I'm planning to sign up for Lung Cancer Alliance's (LCA) Team Lung Love, a group of runners who train for marathons, half-marathons, and other distances while raising money for lung cancer advocacy and research.  I was really excited to learn that a non-profit like LCA was one of Marine Corps Marathon's charity partners this year because MCM is THE marathon I want to do as my first, AND I also want to raise money again this year for lung cancer awareness and research in memory of my mom.  I always carry my mom with me whenever I run, and I know I'll need her more than ever to carry me through this race.



Source
The nice thing about signing up with Team Lung Love is you get a guaranteed MCM entry.  No stressing and fighting over those limited entries on March 7.  AND you'll be helping out a great cause that is very much needed.  Lung Cancer is the least funded research program in our country, yet it is the #1 cancer that claims the most lives EVERY YEAR, more than breast, prostate, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers COMBINED.


Ok, so why haven't I signed up for Team Lung Love yet?  Why am I procrastinating??!  My Three Things (excuses?) Thursday....

Source
1).  Waiting for this Friday, when I get my yearly physical.  I want to get the green light from the Doc.  I'm having the same nagging soreness on my right outer thigh.  I am hoping it's just my SI Joint.  I've learned to self-correct and I know the exercises to do to help it.  Crossing fingers!

2).  I've got a few more questions for LCA so that I know exactly what my commitments are when I sign up to run for Team Lung Love.

3).  Honestly, I'm scared more about getting injured during training than the actual race itself.  Scared about getting injured and not being able to run this race.  I am so injury prone.  Since I'm still kinda new-ish to running, I could use all the advice I could get to stay injury free.  Like what kind of cross training is best to make me a stronger runner for this marathon, what training plan would you recommend,...ANYTHING!

My goal for MCM is to finish.  So if you've got any advice for this marathon virgin, please leave some below!   Thank you!

Are you running Marine Corps Marathon this year too?  Are you planning or signed up to run your first full marathon?  Please let me know! 

7 comments:

  1. The MCM looks like it's a great race- you'll definitely enjoy it!! Injury is everyone's worst nightmare- if you're prone to injury than stick to a low mileage program (Hal Higdon's programs are great). Do lots of cross training (bike, swim, elliptical... whatever you can stand) and make sure you take quality rest days. Lots and lots of stretching and foam rolling helps too! There's a really awesome podcast called Marathon Training Academy- I listen to it all the time during my long runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Danielle, for those tips, especially sticking to a low mileage program! I've looked at Higdon, Galloway....just need to sit down, I guess and see which one will best suit my schedule/needs. I really appreciate it all your advice! I need to check out that podcast too! That's awesome!!

      Delete
  2. Very exciting! What a great way to bring in 40 too! Best of luck to you on your training. I would def. add some strength training in there if you can. I won't be running MCM anytime soon. Just not sure that's a goal of mine, at this point in my life! Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jamie! Thanks! I'm so inspired by what you're doing. I need to consider that for cross training. THanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a great cause and a fantastic way to honor your mom.
    I've had good luck with spinning classes and plyometric exercises plus don't forget strength training, especially for your legs and hips. It makes a huge difference.
    I'm planning on signing up for MCM too! It'll be lucky #7 for me although my first MCM. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually just signed up officially!!! I'm excited!!! So how do you schedule all those cross training? Do you vary your cross training every week, like do spinning and plyometric exercises one week, then other strength training the next week? Oh YAY, lucky #7! Great to hear another blogger friend is doing MCM too!!! :D

      Delete
  4. Interesting post. For some light relief here is a funny about procrastination
    http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/cartoon_23.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...